River Discovery Series
The River Discovery Series is a series of paddle trips that takes place from June through August and hosted by CRK in partnership with the National Park Service. Designed for beginners and advanced paddlers alike, the series consists of three trips running the length of the river within the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (CRNRA), from Bowman’s Island to Paces Mill. See map of the CRNRA.
For each segment, a National Park Service Ranger accompanies us and acquaints paddlers with the key features of that part of the river.
June 28, 2014 -- Buford Dam to McGinnis Ferry (9 miles)
Starting at the base of Buford Dam in the clear, cold water released from the bottom of Lake Lanier and paddling to the new ramp at McGinnis Ferry. This journey follows a section of beautiful oak hickory forest and prime trout water.
(This event has passed.)
August 10, 2014 -- Jones Bridge to Island Ford (9 miles)
Beginning on one of the most scenic sections in the CRNRA, this journey on the Chattahoochee will be an easy paddle with few riffles. River Otter and Osprey are occasionally spotted along this section and Great Blue Herons and Red Tailed Hawks are common. In addition to wildlife, enjoy late summer wildflowers. (This trip has been resheduled from an earlier date and time due to rain.) (Registration has closed.)
August 16, 2014 -- Johnson Ferry to Paces Mill Sunset Paddle (7 miles)
Paddle the final section of the CRNRA, which is rich in both natural and human history. See the site where Federal forces outflanked the Confederate Army, Native American sites, and the magnificent Palisades. Pass through Cochran Shoals, Devil’s Race Course Shoals, and Thornton Shoals, all easy Class 1.5 rapids. (Registration has closed.)
Additional details for each trip are provided upon registration and specific trip details one week prior to the trip date.
- Additional details will be provided upon registration and specifin your confirmation email after registration
- Specific trip details will be emailed to you one week prior to the trip date.
- Fee: $35 per boat (solo or tandem)
- Participants receive a one-year individual CRK membership.
- Registration required. All paddle trips have a maximum capacity -- we encourage you to register early to ensure participation.
- Each participant is required to sign a CRK Liability Waiver. This may be submitted onsite or authorized as electronic signature during the registration process. Click here to preview the CRK Liability Waiver.
- Boating equipment is not provided for any CRK paddle trip or cleanup. Click here for a list of local outfitters. These trips are intended for kayaks and canoes only -- inflatable boats or tubes are not permitted. Personal floatation devices (or PFDs) must be worn on all CRK paddle trips.
- Shuttling is a group effort, and typically we will meet around 9 a.m. at the put-in to unload all boats and shuttle to the take-out before we get on the river.
- Youth Age Requirements: If paddling solo, paddler must be at least 15 years old. If paddling tandem, youth must be at least 8 years old and accompanied by an adult at least 21 years old.